The Shareholder Association for Research and Education (SHARE), a leading Canadian responsible investment education and advisory service for institutional investors, is accepting letters of interest for a full time, permanent position.
Director of Law and Policy
Status: Full time, permanent
Reports to: Executive Director
Summary: The Director of Law and Policy is responsible for leading SHARE’s law reform, research and policy advocacy activities related to responsible investment and governance. Some travel is required.
The responsibilities of the Director of Law and Policy include the following:
Legal and Regulatory Affairs
- Keep apprised of and conduct research, analysis and advocacy on law and policy reform issues at the international, national and provincial levels in the areas of trust, pension, securities and corporate law relevant to the advancement of responsible investment.
- Develop research goals and programs to support SHARE’s mission and strategic plan;
- Conduct or oversee research and prepare reports on topics related to SHARE’s mandate;
- Develop unique research opportunities including joint-research initiatives with national and international partners; and
- Seek independent funding for research projects as necessary.
Corporate Engagement and Proxy Voting
- Direct SHARE’s proxy voting program, including responsibility for leading a team of proxy analyst staff, client relations and reporting, and analyzing proxies as necessary;
- Draft proxy alerts; and
- Lead SHARE’s corporate governance engagement with public issuers, including drafting and filing of shareholder resolutions.
- Assist in the development of SHARE’s strategic goals and program;
- Develop and deliver educational materials on legal and governance issues;
- Ensure that research, law and policy content on SHARE’s website is up-to-date
- Contribute to the efficient administration of the Association; and
- Represent SHARE publicly, including media relations and public speaking in the areas of responsible investment.
The Director of Law and Policy will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Masters degree in law or a related field, or equivalent experience;
- Commitment to encouraging responsible investment and high standards of corporate governance;
- Strong knowledge of corporate, securities, pension and trust law as relates to institutional investment practices;
- Excellent oral and written communications skills, including proficiency at public speaking;
- Excellent research skills (track record of successful publications an asset);
- Ability to manage complex research projects;
- Fluency in English. French language an asset;
- Good interpersonal skills and the ability to work comfortably at all organizational levels;
- Computer literacy (including MS Office).
This position is based in SHARE’s Vancouver office. Salary is commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is provided. Please submit a cover letter and resume by 5pm PST on Tuesday, April 30, 2013, by email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by fax (604) 408-2525. No phone inquiries please. We thank all applicants in advance; only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
Since its creation in 2000, SHARE has carried out its mandate by providing active ownership services, including proxy voting and engagement services as well as through education, policy advocacy and practical research on emerging responsible investment issues. For more information, visit www.share.ca. Download a pdf of the announcement from SHARE.