Shareholders are demanding more from managements and boards – not just as overseers, but in an effort to increase the value of the enterprise. Amid the backdrop of record-low interest rates, pent-up M&A demand and stacks of cash on corporate balance sheets, these activists are being backed by new capital. In addition, more companies are working with activist investors to identify opportunities to create and unlock substantial shareholder value. A recent panel at the Milken Institute explored the rise of investor engagement and its impact on all stakeholders.
- Michelle Edkins, Global Head of Corporate Governance and Responsible Investment, Black Rock
- Ed Garden, Chief Investment Officer and Founding Partner, Trian Fund Management, LP
- Clifton Robbins, Founder and CEO, Blue Harbour Group
- Barry Rosenstein, Founder and Managing Partner, JANA Partners
- Peter Weinberg, Founding Partner, Perella Weinberg Partners
Moderator: Anne Sheehan, Director, Corporate Governance, California State Teachers’ Retirement System (CalSTRS)