Dr. Richard LeBlanc, author of Inside the Boardroom: How Boards Really Work and the Coming Revolution in Corporate Governance, discusses how to create effective boards.
In light of corporate malfeasance in recent years, the governance of corporations has been receiving great attention from regulators, researchers, shareholders, and directors themselves. Based on Richard Leblanc’s in-depth five-year study of 39 boards of directors of both for- and not-for-profit organizations, Building a Better Board goes behind the scenes to reveal the inner workings of boards of directors, including how they make decisions.
Recently chosen as one of Canada’s “Top 40 Under 40″®, Dr Richard Leblanc is an award-winning teacher and researcher, certified management consultant, professional speaker, professor, lawyer and specialist on boards of directors. He can be reached at [email protected].
How to Create Effective Boards: The Necessity of Governance and Leadership
In this session, Dr. Richard Leblanc, award-winning Associate Professor of Law, Governance and Ethics at York University in Toronto, will share insights from his unique research in the boardroom and insights from the hundreds of interviews he has conducted with sitting board members. Dr. Leblanc is the author of Inside the Boardroom: How Boards Really Work and the Coming Revolution in Corporate Governance and co-author of 20 Questions Directors of Not-for-Profit Organizations Should Ask About Board Recruitment, Development and Assessment. Some of the topics he will cover in this presentation will include:
- Does your nonprofit really need a functioning board?
- How do we know if we have the “right board?” Even if we do, what is the role of board leadership and behavior?
- Who should lead the board, and what are the two major types of board chairs?
- What are the five types of functional board members and how should they be identified and recruited?
- What are the five types of dysfunctional board members and how should they be avoided or “evaluated out?”
- What are the 20 Questions Directors of Not-for-Profit Organizations Should Ask About Board Recruitment, Development and Assessment?
Dr. Leblanc will provide a handout for participants and will take questions from the audience. His information is based on extensive research and deals primarily with qualitative issues, two things that the IECG most values and will be even more involved in, in the future.
Panel to react to Dr. Leblanc’s presentation.
- Nikki Beneke – Director/Nonprofit Program Advisor, IECG Chair, North Texas Long Term Recovery Council; Beneke Consulting
- Jack Lowe – Board Chair, TD Industries Former President of DISD Board of Trustees
- Cynthia Nunn – President, Center for Nonprofit Management
- Maj. General James L. Williams, Director, Veterans Coalition of North Central Texas, Admiral Nimitz Foundation
- Bob Wright – Founder, Dallas Social Venture Partners, Director One Star Foundation
Presented by The Institute for Excellence in Corporate Governance in the Jindal School of Management at the University of Texas at Dallas, How to Create Effective Nonprofit Boards: The Necessity of Governance and Leadership.