The State Universities Retirement System of Illinois (SURS) is one of five state-funded retirement plans, serving 65 employers (public universities and colleges) and more than 227,000 members – both annuitants and active members. SURS provides retirement, survivor, disability and death benefits to its members and their families. Currently SURS employs 130 individuals at its Champaign and Naperville offices.
The Corporate Governance and Compliance Officer is primarily responsible for the oversight of corporate governance activities and monitoring of investment manager compliance. This function includes compliance monitoring of the policies and guidelines of the SURS investment program as well as pertinent legislation. The position is intended to include compliance activities for the organization as well.
The position reports to the General Counsel and includes interaction with investment operations.
- Develop and implement a Board-approved corporate governance strategy and program.
- Develop, implement and maintain processes to monitor portfolios, policies and procedures for compliance with rules, regulations and agreements associated with the Investment Department.
- Assist in monitoring of securities litigation related activities.
- Complete special projects and reports.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities:
This position demands knowledge of corporate governance, investments and legislation impacting these areas.
- Bachelor’s degree (law degree preferred)
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Strong computer skills
- Business or financial background that supplements work and/or educational experience.
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive pay
- Pension, disability and death benefits
- Medical, dental and vision benefits
- Accumulative vacation and sick leave
- Possible flex schedule
- Possible tuition reimbursement
- On-site, designated parking
- Friendly, appealing work atmosphere
Apply for this Position
Applicants should email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applicants are subject to a background check as a term of employment.
SURS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Thanks to GPW for alerting us about this opening.