The Business and Environment Initiative at Harvard Business School seeks to deepen our collective understanding of the urgent environmental challenges confronting business leaders and to help them use the tools of business to design effective solutions. We aspire to help leaders create the economic and political institutions that will enable firms and societies to thrive while maintaining the physical and biological systems on which they depend.
Working with HBS faculty, the director of the Business and Environment Initiative (BEI) will help establish the overall Business and Environment Initiative strategy and program portfolio designed to leverage Business and Environment Initiative’s intellectual capital and network. The director will be responsible for developing and managing a series of education and research projects that will involve interaction with academics and practitioners, and that are intended to define the central impact of Business and Environment Initiative. The director serves as a resource to a wide range of constituents and must be able to effectively represent HBS in discussions with senior executives, government officials, and leaders across business and academia.
- Work closely with BEI faculty co-chairs and leadership team to drive and regularly assess Business and Environment Initiative’s strategy and optimize its progress to goals. Provide managerial and intellectual leadership to guide strategic planning efforts.
- Develop and nurture a deep working knowledge of the research and most current thinking relating to business and the environment, including the work of HBS faculty and others in the field.
- Serve as a subject matter expert and key contact on the work of the Initiative for internal and external constituents, including faculty, administration, and the media. Play a leadership role in developing relationships to optimize the impact of the initiative’s work within HBS, at Harvard University, and externally.
- Participate in the design of and support faculty-led efforts to enhance research, course development, teaching activities, seminars, and conferences, including the identification of case research sites, field-based project opportunities, and partners. Work with faculty to design and execute targeted practitioner engagements aligned with Business and Environment Initiative priorities.
- Develop and oversee a communications strategy to elevate Business and Environment Initiative’s external presence among thought leaders and key influencers through the dissemination of Business and Environment Initiative’s research output and information about related activities, including managing the content and maintenance of the Business and Environment Initiative website.
- Work closely with select MBA student activities including coordination with MBA admissions and career and professional development and interact with student club leaders to leverage existing opportunities, advance field-based engagements, and raise awareness.
- Identify and link common interests across constituents.
- Oversee the internal operations of the Initiative including budget, staffing, and resource management.
- Provide staff leadership for the Business and Environment Initiative faculty steering committee.
BA/BS required; 10+ years progressive management experience.
The ideal candidate will have a passion for and demonstrated knowledge of business and the environment, in addition to significant management experience. Self-motivation, creativity and comfort building collaborative relationships throughout the organization. Proven record of accomplishment within a complex environment, with demonstrated leadership and organizational skills. Experience as an operational and project manager, with ability to perform all levels of work from strategy to directly managing events. Ability to work independently while establishing strong team relationships. Proven ability to successfully manage multiple projects, experience managing and motivating staff, and proven skills in budget management are essential. Facility in building consensus, “managing up,” and driving process amidst competing priorities. Strong interpersonal, communication and presentation skills. MBA or other advanced degree strongly preferred. Familiarity with management and operations within an academic institution a plus.
Employees of HBS adhere to and represent our Community Values. They are:
- Respect for the rights, differences, and dignity of others
- Honesty and integrity in dealing with all members of the community
- Accountability for personal behavior
- Cover Letter is required
- Follow on Twitter – @HBSJobs
- Explore HBS Work Culture at and learn about other Employment Opportunities