WeConvene Extel and SRI‐CONNECT announced the results of the Independent Research in Responsible Investment Survey 2015; “the most authoritative global survey evaluating how asset managers rate the services of independent providers of sustainable and responsible investment (SRI) & corporate governance (CG) research.”
Award winner from the major categories were:
Independent Research in Responsible Investment: SRI
- Best SRI analysis (firm): MSCI ESGResearch
o Runners‐up: Sustainalytics & CDP
- Best SRI analysts (individual): James Magness (CDP) & Gustavo Pimentel(Sitawi)
o Runner‐up: Greg Elders (Bloomberg)
- Best Salesperson for SRI research: Daniel Sailer (MSCI ESGResearch)
o Runners‐up: Catalina Secreteanu (Sustainalytics) & Vipul Arora (Solaron)
Independent Research in Responsible Investment: Corporate Governance
- Best Corporate Governance analysis (firm): MSCI ESGResearch
o Runners‐up: ISS & Sustainalytics
- Best Corporate Governance analyst (individual): Adam Ward (MSCI ESGResearch)
o Runners‐up: Alan Brett (MSCI ESG Research) & Loic Dessaint (Proxinvest)
- Best Salesperson for Corporate Governance research: Daniel Sailer (MSCI ESGResearch)
o Runners‐up: Vipul Arora (Solaron) & Cornelia Bedford (MSCI ESG Research)
Independent Research in Responsible Investment: Companies
- Best company for SRI:Unilever
o Runners up: Novo Nordisk, Intel & Repsol
Independent Research in Responsible Investment: Asset Managers and Owners
- Asset Owner contribution to sustainable investment: CalPERS (USA)
o Runners‐up: PFZW (Netherlands) & ERAFP (France)
- Asset Manager contribution to sustainable investment: Nordea (Sweden)
o Runners‐up: Amundi (France) & BMO Global Asset Management (UK)
Independent Research in Responsible Investment: Insights and Innovation
- Best analysts (nominated by companies): Cedric Laverie (Amundi), Hardik Shah (Sustainalytics), RobbertGerritsen (ISS), Orith Azoulay (Natixis) & Yannick Ouaknine (Societe Generale)
- Best research: CDP Sector Reports including Flicking the Switch and No Room for Passengers
o Runner‐up: CarbonTracker: Carbon Supply Cost Curves
Independent Research in Responsible Investment: Other Category Winners
- Best for engagement services: GESInvest
- Best for news: Bloomberg
- Best for voting execution: ISS
The Dynamics of SRI Research and Communications
Alongside the rankings, IRRI explores the dynamics of SRI & corporate governance research and the communications practices of companies. Highlights of this research includes:
- 47% of asset owners explicitly mandate asset managers to integrate sustainability and corporate governance factors intoinvestment
- 68%of asset managers see direct contact with companies on sustainability and corporate governance issues as important or very important to their investment research process
- Investor relations managers are taking control of the SRI and corporate governance (47% vs 30% last year).
- Strong demand from all sides (companies, investors and analysts) for closer linkage in between sustainability and financial information in reporting and analysis.
Independent Research in Responsible Investment Survey 2015 Details
The survey ran through October and received responses from 1,287 voters from 681 different firms in 35 different countries. It asked for quantitative and qualitative responses from asset managers globally on how they rate the SRI research published by independent providers, as well as from the research providers themselves on how well quoted companies communicate their sustainability performance to investment analysts and on how asset managers communicate their research needs.
Independent Research in Responsible Investment Survey 2015 Reaction
“Alongside the headline awards, IRRI has generated a wealth of data that will help quoted companies engage more effectively with this growing segment of capital markets,” said Steve Kelly, Managing Director of WeConvene Extel. “The SRI & corporate governance dimension is here to stay and is growing fast; The communications best practices that IRRI has identified should enable companies to benefit from the rise of engaged, responsible, long‐term investors.”
“The IRRI results show the depth, variety and innovation available in SRI & corporate governance research markets.” added Mike Tyrrell, Editor of SRI‐Connect.com. “Investment research markets worldwide are under scrutiny with asset managersencouraged to find the best insights and also focus on research costs. It is, therefore, encouraging to see that SRI & corporate governance research have the strength, depth and openness to respond to both needs.”
A report with findings from the survey is available on extelsurveys.
In July 2014, Extel became part of WeConvene. The combined new business offers a global corporate access platform, Extel market surveys, bespoke studies and an integrated broker voting service.
WeConvene is a global corporate access platform for the sell and buy side community. It offers clients a complete web-based solution that makes organising, managing, tracking and valuing corporate access more efficient and effective. The platform supports the full spectrum of corporate access, including analyst marketing, roadshows, corporate days, conferences, fieldtrips and other investor interactions. WeConvene was founded in 2012 and is headquartered in Hong Kong with offices in London, New York, Sydney & Manila.
Extel conducts market studies across all three sides of the investment community throughout Europe, delivering a comprehensive range of rankings, market trends and sentiment insights. With over forty years pedigree, Extel Europe is the largest study of its kind worldwide, with over 16,000 participants from 75 countries casting nearly 1 million individual votes. All rankings in Extel are based purely on weighted votes from the investment community. The scope, branding and professional integrity of Extel is widely recognize by brokerage firms, asset managers and corporates alike.
SRI-CONNECT is an online global marketplace for SRI research and meeting point for companies, investors and their respectiveadvisors. It provides practical research resources and communications channels to accelerate the inclusion of sustainability and corporate governance factors in ‘mainstream’ analysis & investment.
Comments are closed.