The objective of the Director for New Business Development is to promote and sell Governance Center memberships globally, in conjunction with the Governance Center staff and the Directors of Associate Service. Being a well-educated, entrepreneurial, articulate and consultative sales professional, the Director, New Business Development, Governance Center cultivates Global F1000 companies, institutional investment firms and corporate governance services providers, including law firms, that become members of The Conference Board Governance Center and is responsible for closing new Governance Center sales.
Success in the position requires the Director to possess integrity and openness, the ability to discuss global business and corporate governance issues, the stature and presence to engage meaningfully with C-Suite executives, the ability to synthesize and articulate to prospects the value proposition of membership in The Conference Board Governance Center, and the ability to sell to senior executives in Legal, Governance, Investor Relations, Compliance, Human Resources, and Public Affairs roles, in addition to board members, CEOs and presidents in prospective Governance Center member organizations.
Business Development: Reporting Relationship
Reports to the Senior Vice President, US Development. Partners with Directors, Member Development and New Business Development in Asia, Europe and the United States to coordinate sales activities. Partners with the Governance Center to ensure a smooth transition and onboarding after a sale is completed.
Principal Direct Activities:
- Generates a minimum of $250,000 annually in new revenue through the sales of Governance Center memberships and sponsorships. In accomplishing the financial goal, the Director is responsible for:
- Developing revenue targets based on account plans.
- Designing and implementing plans to achieve those targets.
- Ensuring that the sales contacts are effective and appropriate for facilitating the member company’s involvement in the Governance Center.
- Working with colleagues in other geographic regions, as appropriate, on the sale of memberships, with a priority focus on F1000 equivalent organizations.
- Effectively communicates the value of TCB Governance Center program and TCB in general to senior executives and other executives, with a focus on General Counsels and CEOs.
- Projects knowledge, energy and enthusiasm about TCB’s programs and services.
- Is innovative in finding new ways to communicate the value proposition to prospective members.
- Helps to build a larger community interested in the activities of the Governance Center by effectively using business development skills to identify opportunities for participation in the Governance Center by executives throughout the prospective Center member organization. Always keeping in mind, how the Governance Center connects with the entire portfolio of TCB services.
- Partners with internal stakeholders to ensure alignment and continuous improvement.
- Reliable, team player who keeps account managers well informed of relationships and activities throughout the sales cycle.
- Maintains a consistent dialogue with TCB GC staff to ensure alignment of sales and delivery, sharing customer insights for continuous improvement and ensuring the success of each new member.
- Other duties as assigned.
Business Development: Requirements
A minimum of 10 years sales or new business development, with significant experience in legal or corporate governance services sales. The incumbent is highly capable in communication and analytical skills and capable of working effectively both individually and collaboratively as needed in order to accomplish objectives. The incumbent is comfortable and effective before a variety of audiences, including very senior executives, in order to engage in conversations around corporate governance and our Governance Center offerings. The incumbent is able to work with minimum supervision to sell new Governance Center memberships while also participating, as needed, in internal projects and meeting other position requirements. Must possess a bachelor degree, advanced degree desired.
Please submit your application by email only, in English, with Resume and Cover Letter to Tangeel.Watson@conference-board.org.