The Natural Resources Defense Council (NRDC) is the nation’s most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 1.4 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of nearly 500 lawyers, scientists and other professionals to fight for the planet and its people in the halls of Congress, communities across the country, and nations around the globe. NRDC was founded in 1970 and our staff helped write some of America’s bedrock environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act, and many of the implementing regulations; our water enforcement cases played a major role shaping current water policy throughout the country. Today, our staff – a force for nature – work out of offices in New York, Washington, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Bozeman, Montana and Beijing.
Environmental Entrepreneurs (“E2”) is an NRDC affiliate that is a national community of business leaders who promote sound environmental policy that builds economic prosperity. E2 provides an independent, non-partisan resource for understanding the business perspective on environmental issues. Working with business, environmental and non-traditional allies, E2 helps shape state and national policy that’s good for the economy and the environment.
NRDC Position Summary
NRDC is hiring an E2 Organizing Director in the Center for Policy Advocacy department’s E2 team. The position may be based in NRDC’s Washington, DC, New York, Chicago or San Francisco, CA office.
The E2 Organizing Director will play an essential role in recruiting and retaining business leaders and others to E2’s nationwide community of advocates who are passionate about addressing environmental issues through the lens of business and the economy. S/he will be responsible for developing and executing E2’s membership and chapter-building strategy, and managing relevant internal and external processes for achieving it. The position reports to the E2 Executive Director.
The E2 Organizing Director will operate in the nexus of advocacy and development. The position’s primary purpose is to grow and maintain E2’s membership and support its nine chapters and 850+ members throughout the U.S. in order to further E2’s and NRDC’s policy advocacy. S/he will also co-manage E2’s database with the E2 development staff and provide data and targeting services to E2 and NRDC’s advocacy team. S/he will also work closely with the E2 Executive Director and E2 development staff to support their efforts to cultivate membership donations and other contributions to E2 and NRDC.
NRDC Job Responsibilities
- Lead the development and implementation of a membership and chapter-building strategy and plan to achieve annual growth goals, in coordination with the advocacy and development teams.
- Manage E2’s database and provide sophisticated membership targeting guidance and data analysis services to the advocacy team to support their activities, such as member-surrogate lobby trips, lawmaker meetings, and earned media.
- Lead the planning and organization of all E2 membership program activities, including membership-building events around the country, E2 Advisory Council and Chapter Directors meetings, monthly E2 webinars.
- Work closely with the E2 Development and Operations Manager and other E2 staff on jointly planned membership events that intersect chapter-building and development goals.
- Travel to chapter locations and interact regularly through meetings and correspondences with current and prospective E2 members.
- Write, edit and distribute E2 updates and other communications to members and prospects.
Qualifications For NRDC E2 Position
- This is not an entry level position. At least 7 years of professional career experience in membership organizing and development is required. Experience in business/private industry is preferred. Professional experience must include at least 2 years of successful track record in:
- Leading volunteer organizing and engagement;
- Membership or activist chapter growth across multiple locations;
- Having direct responsibility for writing project plans and managing processes for developing them;
- Organizing cross-functional team consensus and operating processes;
- Directly implementing plans as well leading or coordinating a team to do so;
- Analyzing and using data to target relationship-building and communication programs;
- Working at trade associations, advocacy organizations, and/or political campaigns; and
- Meeting or exceeding metric-driven goals and deadlines.
- Exceptional ability to analyze information, formulate plans, and convey them in writing and through oral presentations. A writing and presentation test may be requested of finalists.
- A well-established professional network in business, government, politics or non-profit advocacy.
- A minimum of a bachelor’s degree.
Preferred Additional Qualifications
- Job experience that required regular interactions with businesses or senior business leaders.
- Job successes in client/customer management or retail services.
- Fundraising experience.
- Direct professional exposure to energy and environmental issues.
- Budget planning and management skills.
NRDC is committed to workplace diversity and inclusion. We are equal opportunity employers and do not discriminate in hiring or employment on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, gender, marital status, sexual orientation, age, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, and a pleasant working environment. Salary is based on a nonprofit scale and commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit the NRDC Jobs site and upload your resume and cover letter through our online portal. Please no phone calls, emails, faxes or in-person resume drop-offs. Please reference where you saw this posting. NRDC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
If you are having technical difficulty while applying, please email email@example.com.