Environmental health program manager wanted by my favorite nonprofit, As You Sow. Austin Wilson is leaving for a period of extensive travel. I will certainly miss him and hope when he returns he will find similar employment. Looking to make the world a better place and have the right skills and experience? There is probably no better place you could be working. Official job announcement.
Environmental Health Program Manager: Job Description
Title: Environmental Health Program Manager Supervisor: President
Classification: Full-time, non-exempt Schedule: Full Time/Permanent
As You Sow actively seeks to recruit and retain a diverse staff in all areas of operations. As You Sow will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of age, race, creed, color, national origin, ancestry, marital status, sex, or sexual orientation.
As You Sow: Organizational Background
As You Sow is an Oakland-based non-profit organization founded in 1992. We promote corporate environmental and social responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and innovative legal strategies. We are one of the nation’s leading practitioners of shareholder advocacy, moving companies to take greater responsibility for the social and environmental impact of their operations. We engage companies directly, work with and mobilize investor coalitions on key issue areas, file shareholder resolutions, and write reports and research briefs to inform investors and the public about novel issue areas. In short, for 25 years we get big companies to make big changes for good.
Environmental Health Program Manager: Position Summary
The Environmental Health Program Manager will develop and lead our corporate engagements on food, health, water, and agricultural issues. The Program’s main projects currently tackle antibiotic overuse in animal agriculture and pesticide use in food production. Our other projects seek to enhance water stewardship and reduce the public health impacts of tobacco depictions in film. Over the past three years, As You Sow has led investor efforts to eliminate the use of medically-important antibiotics in poultry across the majority of the restaurant sector. Historically we have also worked to end use of nanomaterials in foods and BPA in can liners.
We believe that shareholders – from the individual to the institutional – are uniquely positioned to help shape the future of food production through their investment decisions and by directly engaging food companies. Through our work, we urge companies to re-examine the risks of conventional agriculture for the benefit of long-term shareholder value.
Environmental Health Program Manager: Job Description
The Environmental Health Program Manager will work under the supervision of As You Sow’s President.The Program Manager is responsible for research and analysis of environmental health issues, as well as strategic planning, dialogues with corporate management, filing shareholder resolutions, writing technical reports for investment professionals and proxy analysts, attending and speaking at conferences and annual shareholder meetings, writing press releases, pitching media, delivering program reports, and working with the development team to write grant proposals and reports.
The ideal candidate will be an independent self-starter who is committed to creating sustainable change within corporations and who has experience in environmental, regulatory, technical, legal, and financial risk areas, with experience in food-related issues a plus. While independent, the ideal candidate is also a team-player working internally and with partners and will serve as an ambassador for the organization at conferences, with media, and in corporate engagements. The ideal candidate will have extensive research experience, excellent writing skills, be comfortable reviewing financial documents, have strong interpersonal communication skills, and possess a keen attention to detail.
As our work is all about making bold and lasting positive change in the world on issues including climate change, environmental health, ocean plastics, wage justice, financial transparency, and human rights, the ideal applicant will passionately care about these issues and our theory of change.
Environmental Health Program Manager: Responsibilities
- Develop engagement strategy and business case arguments to move corporate policies and practices;
- Research environmental, regulatory, technical, financial, and/or reputational risks and vulnerabilities facing companies and develop and issue research to support initiatives, including company fact sheets and investor letters;
- Monitor and analyze corporate financial reports including Annual Reports, Proxy Statements, and Corporate Responsibility/Sustainability Reports;
- Monitor news and research regarding environmental health issues and relevant companies;
- Consult with researchers, advocates, and industry representatives to identify best practices inan industry;
- Write shareholder resolutions in consultation with attorneys and develop and present reportsfor proxy analysts;
- Travel to and speak at corporate annual meetings;
- Lead dialogues with companies and maintain records of corporate engagement;
- Assist in building coalitions of investors and NGO advocates to support our work;
- Collaborate with colleagues including sustainable investment firms, faith-based investors, andother institutional investors;
- Engage in strategic planning, organizational development, and other support as needed;
- Write press releases and pitch stories to media;
- Write foundation grant proposals and reports.
Environmental Health Program Manager: Qualifications
- B.A., MA/MBA preferred
- Strong interpersonal engagement and communication skills. Must be able to confidentlyconduct periodic negotiations with corporate senior management
- Preferred prior experience in: national advocacy initiatives, sustainable investing, sustainabilityconsulting, or corporate responsibility
- Preferred background and/or extensive knowledge of environmental health and/or foodsystems
- Excellent research, analysis, writing, and communication skills
- Familiarity with basic legal and financial concepts
- Familiarity with social media
- Ability to work as part of a team as well as take individual initiative
- Strong analytical skills to critique social and environmental impact of corporate policies andpractices
- Experience with budgeting and project management
- Ability to function well in coalition with external partners
- Strong organizational and time management skills, with excellent attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks, and meet deadlines in a fast-pacedenvironment
- Passionate personal commitment to progressive social and environmental change
- Strong work ethic, self-motivated, and committed to excellence
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite
- Sense of humor appreciated
Environmental Health Program Manager: Compensation
Negotiable depending upon experience. As You Sow provides generous health and vacation benefits as well as a 401(k) match.
Environmental Health Program Manager: To Apply
Please submit a resume and cover letter discussing your qualifications and interest in this position electronically to email@example.com. Please write “Environmental Health Program Manager” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted until we find an amazing candidate.
As You Sow is an equal opportunity employer.
For more information about As You Sow, go to: www.asyousow.org