Training for Sustainable Investing was a topic at the most recent Morningstar Conference in Chicago. (#MICUS) I would like to learn more the education of investment advisors in #ESG, #SRI, #corpgov issues. Interest in sustainable investing was high at the conference due to fund flows and client inquiries. However, I only saw a couple of handouts on the subject of education in the exhibition area. There were several sessions on sustainable investing but not on eduction programs, as far as I know. The True Faces of Sustainable Investing: Busting Industry Myths Around ESG, found that 72% of the U.S. population expressed at least a moderate interest in sustainable investing – spanning genders and generations.
Readers, what training for sustainable investing is available?
Training for Sustainable Investment: Chartered SRI Counselor
I notice the College for Financial Planning, a Kaplan Company, teamed with US SIF to offer an online program that includes videos, eBooks, live online classes, practice quizzes and printed study materials. Students have a year to complete but most finish in 2-3 months. The cost is $1,300.
Coursework for planners seeking the CSRIC™ designation will detail the history of sustainable and impact investing. It will present the range of responsible investing approaches and share comprehensive information on the environmental, social, and governance factors considered by responsible investors. The course will also explore trends in shareholder engagement, fiduciary duty, and portfolio construction.
The CSRIC™ designation is the first major financial credential dedicated to SRI and is applicable to the MS in Personal Financial Planning program offered by Kaplan.
Training for Sustainable Investment: Morningstar Sustainable Investing Curriculum
A second educational program I found is a joint project of the Money Management Institute and Morningstar. MMI and Morningstar, in partnership with sponsors and an academic advisory board. They are developing a curriculum designed for Financial Advisors.
Through collaboration with The Forum for Sustainable and Responsible Investment (US SIF) and PRI Academy, we are pleased to make available their courses covering the sustainable investing spectrum. Please access the Continuous Learning Center for more information.
- ESG101 – What is Sustainable Investing?
- ESG102 – The Importance of Sustainable Investing
- ESG103 – Introduction to ESG Analysis
- ESG104 – Understanding ESG: Environmental Issues
- ESG105 – Understanding ESG: Social Issues
- ESG106 – Understanding ESG: Corporate Governance Issues
- ESG107 – Impact Investing
- ESG201 – Integrating ESG into Investment Advice
Fundamentals of Sustainable Investment: A Guide for Financial Advisors by William Burckart and Jessica Ziegler, with an introductory endorsement from Craig Pfeiffer and Steve Lydenberg.
In the Fall of 2019, MMI will release a second series of sustainable investing courses focused on ESG from a behavioral finance perspective, best practices for client conversations, the sustainable product landscape, implementation strategies, and ESG performance assessment and reporting.
- ESG202 – Behavioral Finance Perspectives on Sustainable Investing
- ESG203 – Having the Initial Client Conversation
- ESG204 – Understanding the Product Landscape
- ESG205 – Implementation Strategies
- ESG206 – Client Questionnaires/Making the Proposal
- ESG207 – Performance Assessment and Reporting
- ESG208 – Making Sustainable Investing a Bigger Part of Your Practice
What other training initiatives available or coming? I am always eager to hear from readers.