Mission-led employee-owned firms offer an alternative to conventional publicly-traded companies. With support from Partners for a New Economy, Fifty by Fifty‘s research demonstrates, mission-driven employee-owned firms are the Best of the Best.
Using data from B Lab, which assesses the social and environmental impact of B Corps, Fifty by Fifty found these firms outperform on multiple measures. Overall “B” Scores average 20 points higher for mission-led employee-owned than B Corps that are not employee owned, and 100 percent higher than ordinary businesses.
Mission-led employee-owned companies include:
- Recology, a $1.2 billion waste management company employing 3,500 guided by its vision of “a world without waste”
- Zevin Asset Management of Boston with 20 employees
- Cooperative Home Care Associates with 2,300 mostly low income women of color
- Eileen Fisher, the first US fashion house to pursue a safe chemical-certification program for its textiles of organic cotton and linen
- EA Engineering, an environmental consulting company
- Heritage Aviation, providing aircraft inspection and maintenance, a pilot lounge, and heated hangars in Burlington, VT
At Fifty by Fifty, their mission is to expand employee ownership to 50 million workers by 2050. That sounds like a great goal to me. Read the full report.