WEST SACRAMENTO, CA – The California State Teachers’ Retirement System is searching for public equity investment managers with an environmental, social and governance focus. There are up to six new ESG manager spots available for consideration.
This is a great opportunity for ESG focused PE Managers. You will be working with one of the most progressive funds in the entire world. CalSTRS even announces their proxy votes in advance of annual meetings so that others can follow their lead. See job opportunities.
“We are looking for managers with very well-established capabilities to integrate ESG considerations into every aspect of the investment decision-making process,” said CalSTRS Chief Investment Officer Christopher J. Ailman. “Our preferred managers will have a successful track record of ESG considerations in areas such as security analysis, portfolio modeling and investment analytics, and will demonstrate an ability to generate excess market returns over the long-term.”
To qualify, ESG focused PE managers must:
- Be a registered investment advisor, bank, insurance company or trust company.
- Have been running an ESG or corporate governance-focused public equity trading strategy for at least two years.
- Currently have at least $100 million in managed assets in an ESG or corporate governance-focused public equity strategy.
- Currently have at least $225 million in total assets under management.
- Currently have fund information in the U.S. ESG or non-U.S. ESG universe within the eVestment database.
The deadline for posting solicitations on CalEProcure.com is 5 p.m. Pacific Time, October 28, 2016. Selections are expected to be made by mid-year 2017. More details about requirements and timelines for this solicitation can be found on the CalSTRS Business Partnership Opportunities webpage.
Existing ESG Focused PE Managers
Successful firms will supplement CalSTRS’ two existing firms, both of which have been with CalSTRS since 2007. They are:
- Generation Investment Management LLP with $622 million in CalSTRS assets under management as of June 30, 2016.
- AGF Investments America, Inc. with $256 million in CalSTRS assets under management as of June 30, 2016.
The California State Teachers’ Retirement System, with a portfolio valued at $193.2 billion as of September 30, 2016, is the largest educator-only pension fund in the world. CalSTRS administers a hybrid retirement system, consisting of traditional defined benefit, cash balance and voluntary defined contribution plans. CalSTRS also provides disability and survivor benefits. CalSTRS serves California’s 896,000 public school educators and their families from the state’s 1,700 school districts, county offices of education and community college districts.
See how CalSTRS demonstrates its strong commitment to long-term corporate sustainability principles in its annual Global Reporting Initiative sustainability report: Fostering a Secure Future.